Thursday, August 24, 2006

Quick, random post

Katie has an appointment with the ENT tomorrow to discuss tubes for her ears. She's been struggling with ear infections all summer, and our doctor predicts it will just get worse with the coming cold/flu season. She's remained remarkably cheerful considering how much pain she must be in.


As you can see, she finally has some teeth. She "hasn't read the textbook," as our doctor says -- her top teeth have erupted first. Still no sign of the bottom choppers. The lack of teeth certainly hasn't affected her ability to eat. Current favorites: strawberries, blueberries, cheese toast and ravioli with meat sauce.



Katie loves removing items from cabinets and drawers. Her favored destination is the game table. Before she discovered it, all the game pieces were neatly stored in the appropriate bag or box. Organizing it now is futile. She attacks with wild abandon.

Cooper is really enjoying kindergarten. He reports that his favorite part of the day is recess. He's also a big fan of pizza day in the cafeteria. He comes home every day worn out but eager to share a new song, story or impression. When Uncle Jim called last week, he asked Cooper, "What have you learned so far?" His answer: "To keep my hands to myself."


He's in a puzzle stage, working one every day or so. We ran out of room on the dining room table this week, so we took this photo before packing them all away and opening some other boxes.

It's been a rough few weeks for my Dallas Morning News friends and colleagues. The buyouts and pending reorganization are upsetting for so many reasons. I learned to read at 4 by reading The News. I've read Philip Wuntch and Ed "Uncle Barky" Bark since I was 7. It wasn't just an employer for me -- it was a trusted source and my destination paper. Many excellent journalists are remaining, but many are leaving, taking with them irreplaceable institutional knowledge, heart and personality. Selfishly, I am so thankful that I am at home, taking care of my family and freelancing when I can -- and not in the middle of the stressful, gloomy newsroom.

2 comments:

Laura said...

The whole DMN situation has been difficult for me, too. Growing up, I knew that was the newspaper I would work at one day. I took great pride while there, and my husband and I look forward to reading the DMN every time we visit Dallas. I am saddened because I know how difficult this must be for the folks who decide to leave, but also for the many journalists who will stay and face a very uncertain future.

Stacey said...

It's still all very surreal for me. I guess because I'm hearing all the gossip, rumors and developments from afar. It's just very hard to believe that that is the same paper we all used to work at.