Monday, August 14, 2006

First (abbreviated) day of school

I think he grew an inch in just the past week!

Katie was napping when her big brother left for school.


After all the forced photos, Cooper was ready for some silliness.

Cooper found an old friend -- soccer teammate Reilly.

With some free time in the classroom, Cooper settles in with Scooby and the Magic School Bus.

Meanwhile, Katie and Grandma played at home.


Cooper survived -- and thoroughly enjoyed -- 90 minutes of introduction to kindergarten this morning and a 20-minute language arts evaluation with Mrs. D this afternoon. Just before he fell asleep tonight, I asked him, "What was your favorite thing today?" "Going to school," he answered.

I was only a bit misty during the kindergarten orientation. (The kids were off in the gym and library while the parents learned about logistics -- dropping off, picking up, lunch, snack, recess, folders, feedback, parties, e-mail, etc.)

Cooper spent three-and-a-half years in day care and a year in preschool, so I'm not upset about him being away from home. But I definitely feel a loss of control with public school. I rationally understand that this is a normal part of growing up -- gaining independence, learning to make decisions on his own, choosing friends. But it still breaks my heart a tiny bit.

Tomorrow is the first full day, and he's so ready. I'm thankful that he's enthusiastic about the experience -- it would be much more difficult for me if he didn't want to go.

No comments: