Friday, August 04, 2006

Postcard from L.A.

I’m at the SCBWI conference, Day 1. It’s been a good day, though I am tired. It’s 8:15 p.m. at the hotel, which means it’s 10:15 p.m. at home, and I’ve been up since 4:30 a.m. Dallas time.

The sessions have been informative and energizing. Of course, I enjoyed the Mo Willems presentation this morning. He even taught everyone how to draw the pigeon.

Elisa Primavera (of Auntie Claus fame) was a wonderful speaker, too. The most inspiring speaker was Jacqueline Woodson, who has written young adult novels and picture books. Her writing is lyrical and descriptive, and she read beautifully.

In other news …
Katie’s walking! She started taking more than one step at a time last Saturday, when she was home with Steve and Cooper. She still prefers cruising or crawling (or being toted by one of us), but she’s getting a bit braver and more sure every day. She’s also becoming an accomplished swimmer. She kicks constantly when I hold her in the pool, and she’s sometimes bold enough to jump off a step and swim a couple of feet toward me.


Cooper is counting the days to kindergarten. We visit the school a week from today to get his teacher assignment and meet her (all seven of the potential teachers are women). He told me this week that he’s worried no one will like him. Of course, Steve and I assured him that he’d make lots of friends – he’s been doing so, after all, since he was a tiny baby.

No comments: