Sunday, May 15, 2011

Floating head of death

We ate lunch at Luby's after church today. We haven't been to a cafeteria in years; in fact, Cooper and Katie don't remember ever eating in one. They loved the ability to see and choose their food right there. (Katie chose blue Jell-o because she and Steve like Jell-o and his favorite color is blue.)

Before we left, an employee gave them each a balloon. The balloons made me think of a story to tell. On the drive from Luby's to Whole Foods, I started describing a favorite Far Side comic.

Steve and I first saw it in the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal in the mid-'90s. It cracked us up; I can still hear Steve laughing over it. We cut it out and placed it on the refrigerator, where it stayed for the duration of our Lubbock days. 

Years later, when we'd struggle to get Cooper to sleep, one of us might make a sly mention of the comic.

Anyway, today I was describing the scene. "Imagine a two-story house. A mom is scolding her son, who won't go to sleep. And downstairs is the dad, and he's holding a balloon. And the mom says ..."

Cooper interjected: "Don't make me summon the floating head of death!"

I laughed and laughed. "Where did you learn that, Cooper?"

"It's in my Far Side book. It's one of my favorites."

Steve would be pleased.

No comments: