Monday, May 02, 2011

April, according to Twitter

There is a marked difference between kindergarteners & 5th-graders in enthusiasm for dress-up day. From a sea of cowboy hats to almost none.


Without Steve, I'm a nervous hostess. First bunco at the Damm house in three years tonight. Thankful that they're all forgiving & friendly.


Coop's mystery house project, due Monday, is complete. (I mistakenly thought the stress of homework was over when I graduated college.)


Enjoying prep work for Sunday school. "... for the Lord does not see as mortals see ... but the Lord looks on the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7)


Lyrics from KT's made-up song today: "I am just a little girl, but I am powerful. Look in my eyes; they might scare you."


KT: "I love Communion. That bread and juice taste good together. But it's not all about how it tastes."


To reduce drama, I really should bury KT's homework in the recycling bin. If she can see it, she exclaims with shock & digs it out.



I mostly held the collective memory of our marriage. But there are details I KNOW Steve knows & I've forgotten & I just want to ask him.


KT: "(Name redacted) poked my sock with a pencil." Me: "Why would he do that?" KT: "Oh, because God made him that way."


Didn't realize how many Aggie friends I had until tonight. Congrats!


KT: "All my favorite pictures are of you and Daddy."


Steve's absence is with me every day, all the time. It's magnified when packing Coop for a camping trip.


Coop: "(Name redacted) has trouble controlling his anger. I could talk to him about it, but I don't want to make him mad."


KT: "I was thinking about it, and I'm the only one in my kindergarten class whose dad had died." ...


... KT: "That makes me sad, but I'm still happy most of the time."


KT: "I can't wait until I'm in college in Austin, playing flute in the band. I'll have my own bed there! I'll miss you, but you can visit."


Sweet, scary words coming from the 5-year-old in the kitchen: "I'm making you some breakfast."


Key to KT's ability to handle Coop being away (camping this weekend) is to keep her busy. So far dinner with Smiths & Arboretum with Papps.


Coop has been home from camping for 63 minutes. He is just now telling me that he saw 2 snakes. Next time I'll ask about snakes first thing.


I know I'm 12 years late to the book ... but we're reading HP & the Prisoner of Azkaban & I found out what Lupin really is & am shocked!


Sending lots of birthday love to my Gramma Kathryn, who must be one of heaven's funniest, most poetic, most eccentric, most dramatic angels.


Each Tuesday, as I wait for Coop in OT, I'm reminded of the tenacious families & gifted therapists who care for children with special needs.


Feeling especially fortunate this week: filing help from Liz, visit from Grandma, dinners from Melanie & Bruny. Exactly what I needed, too.


In the past 40 minutes KT has seemingly explored almost every human emotion. And yet she's not as exhausted from the experience as I am.


Coop: "I would make a terrible bachelor. I don't know how to cook."


Finished HP 3. Cried as I read these words to Coop & KT: "You think the dead we loved ever truly leave us? ... Your father is alive in you."


... I tell you, you will weep and mourn, but the world will rejoice; you will have pain, but your pain will turn into joy. (John 16:20)


Really not fond of this hail. Margie (cutie-pie dog) is nervous. Expecting a sleepy Katie in my room any moment.


Proud of our Daisy Girl Scouts, who donated 28 pounds of food -- all birthday cake supplies -- to Frisco Family Services.


KT, as she's erasing part of a drawing: "Really good artists might have mistakes."


KT: "I know this is unusual, but I would rather die so someone else could live. Because even when I'm dead I'll be alive."


Soccer. School carnival. Pump-It-Up party. Happy, tired Damms.


While celebrating Conor's birthday, KT got too close to the flame. Her hair scorched a bit. She was unfazed. She now smells like a campfire.


KT: "If I ever meet anyone who doesn't love Cooper, I will faint. That would be unbelievable."


KT: "I sure wish we could see Daddy as a grandpa one day."


Praying that Katie sleeps all night, with no night terrors. Sweet girl needs peaceful rest.


Prep work is starting for next school year. I am so not ready to read the words "your child’s fifth-grade teacher."


KT's ear infection and strep throat help explain the past four rough nights. And now I need an 8-hour nap.


Good news: KT's antibiotics & pain meds have kicked in. Pain is gone. Bad news: I'm still worn out & her energy level is super high.


KT: "I'm thinking of starting a restaurant. You'll be the cook because you're the best at cooking in the house."


Coop: "America lacks manufacturing." (It's true, but I'm not sure where he learned it.)


KT's advice for Easter egg hunts: "Don't go in a straight line. Go in a squiggly line. And go FAST."


KT has lots to say about "Anne of Green Gables" (our current book). Including: "Anne talks a lot. And why do they think girls don't count?"


Thankful for a deep well of memories of life with Steve. But it's a quick transition from remembering with joy to being flooded with tears.


Potential work-from-home hazard: Trying to edit while an overly tired child screams, "BUT! I! AM! CALM!"


Me: KT, thank you for being patient. KT: Well, I'm acting patient but I'm really not patient.


Big tri training day for Coop: Clinic at the race site included bike and run. Now he's swimming laps. Steve would be super proud. <3


Going to bed on Easter eve thinking of Hebrews 11:1: "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."


The hope and promise of Easter, of eternal life, has a richer, deeper meaning to me now that I am a widow.


KT, examining her mirror image & white hair bow: "This is the only bow I want to take to heaven. It looks like what an angel would wear."


Legoland field trip with kindergartners and about 100 parents!


Drinking water from a glass decorated with bumble bees. Steve would always "bzzz, bzzz" when he used it. Love having his voice in my head.


We skipped reading "Anne of Green Gables" again because of TAKS tomorrow. Early bedtime trumps extra reading; we're eager for next chapter.


KT: "A little thing can make a big difference. Like a hug or a kiss. But you should only kiss someone you actually know."


KT: Who is Kesha? Coop: A girl singer. KT: What grade is she in? Coop: She's not at Bledsoe. She's an actual singer. KT: Oh. That's unusual.


Re-read Steve's "25 random things" meme for the first time since early 2009. No. 11 warms my heart: My wife is my best friend.


DVR set for two channels (including BBC). Next: Baking scones. Will brew tea at 4 a.m. Woo hoo royal wedding!


House smells yummy and scone-y, but today was a baking disaster. Two of three batches are terrible -- one my fault, the other a dud recipe.


KT: "I've never ever seen a wedding in my whole entire life. This is a really big deal."


Unexpected from my usually confident 5-year-old KT: "I don't like the way my face looks. It's hard to describe. I just don't like it."


We are setting up Coop's transition for his first triathlon. Go, Coop, go!


Coop has finished swimming. Biking now.


Coop is running fast.


Coop finished the tri. He was awesome!


My selfish prayer tonight: Please don't let storms cancel the triathlon Sunday morning. I'd really like to make use of all this training.

No comments: