Friday, April 22, 2011

A mom's medical expertise is ever under development

From today's Briefing:


At some point in the past decade, I mellowed out when it came to doctor visits.
In Cooper’s first year, we were frequent fliers at the pediatrician’s office. If they had handed out punch cards to keep track of visits, we would have earned a couple of free ones with all the well-baby checkups and frequent ear infections and little nagging questions that we were sure required a professional opinion.
When the brand-spanking newness of a person wears off just a little and you become more comfortable in the handling of this person, you start to let go of the frequency of the “just in case” pediatrician visits. You start relying more on instinct and the ever-building mental library of data about your child.
This meant that when Cooper bit someone at day care, we called for a sick visit because we knew he had an ear infection. He only ever lashed out with his teeth when his ears hurt.
This also means that Katie doesn’t go to the doctor nearly as often as her big brother did.

I’ve mostly learned to distinguish the sound of a cough that requires intervention from one that can be left alone. I’ve learned which mix of over-the-counter and prescription remedies will soothe allergy symptoms.
I’ve learned that I don’t enjoy spending two hours driving to the doctor, waiting for the doctor and leaving the doctor with advice — albeit good advice — to “wait and see.” (I also don’t enjoy paying an insurance co-pay unless I have to.)
I still have some learning to do, though.
Last summer, Katie experienced fairly frequent night terrors. She would sit up in bed around 10 or 11 p.m. crying and screaming and flailing her arms. She wasn’t really awake, though she would talk and seemed aware of my presence at her side.
Each terror would last about 10 minutes, then she’d lie down and wiggle back to regular sleep.
They are terrifying for a parent to witness.
I sought advice from our pediatrician. There wasn’t much I could to do to prevent the episodes, other than ensure that bedtime patterns were routine.
The terrors eventually stopped. I even forgot about them.
Until Saturday night. And again Sunday.
I spent two days trying to determine what trauma had triggered the terrors to return.
Was she harboring anger about something? Not likely, as she expresses herself all the time.
Was grief to blame? Certainly possible, as children continue to grieve the loss of a parent as they mature and grow.
Was it my fault for having our baby sitter put her to bed Saturday night? Maybe, but that wouldn’t explain Sunday.
Meanwhile, Katie was complaining about a stomachache. First on Friday at school, when she was allowed to go to the nurse’s office.
“She gave me a heating pad and I got to lie down and oh, that heating pad felt so good and comfy. I didn’t want to get up!”
She complained again on Monday, but her teacher and I suspected she just wanted to head back for the heating pad. She was fussier than usual, but I blamed lack of sleep.
She didn’t eat much Monday or Tuesday, but I thought she was being picky about what I’d served.
Then Tuesday afternoon, a friend picking her up from school called with the news that fluid was draining from Katie’s ear. And she was crying because it felt like her ear was burning.
A trip to the pediatrician revealed strep throat and an ear infection — conditions that explain the night terrors (interrupted sleep from being ill), stomachache (a symptom of strep), poor eating (sore throat) and fussiness (have you ever had an ear infection?).
My mellow ways have me feeling a little guilty this week.
Had I been more proactive and connected the symptoms, Katie might have received intervention sooner.
No doubt, if she has another night terror, we’ll be stopping by the doctor — just in case.
Tyra Damm is a Briefing columnist. Email her at tyradamm@gmail.com.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh my, Tyra, I actually made Brendan swim in a swim meet when he had the flu. He complained of a stomachache, but I thought it was because he had eaten so quickly. He never complained about other symptoms. That night he had a slight fever, and one day later, all three kids had the flu. So I'm right there with ya!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I sent my daughter to school with strep 2 days in a row because I didn't recognize the "stomach issues" that are sometimes associated with strep. But at least now you know what was causing the night terrors. Glad it is diagnosed so she can get better!