Saturday, April 09, 2011

March, according to Twitter

Thinking of Cooper and his writing TAKS today, hoping that he shed his jitters and is feeling confident.


Coop has been across TX, to both coasts, to 14 states. When asked to write about the most interesting place he's been, he chose Six Flags.=)


Coop: "I love life! I love everything about it except death."


At book fair today, kindergarteners were asked which country we live in. "Texas!" one replied. Appropriate answer on Texas Independence Day!


KT: "I have licked and kissed my new toothbrush so no one else will try to use it."



I already don't like having my photo taken. Having first portrait taken of the family (for church directory) without Steve is much worse.


I miss Steve all the time. At this moment, it's because I need his advice for the yard. Or, even better, him here to just fix the trouble.


Thankful for neighbor & friend Derek, who removed dead squirrel from our street. (KT was hysterical after watching it get hit.)


KT: "Mommy, I want you to always remember this. When someone doesn't love you, Jesus always loves us."


Current parenting technique: If you break a big rule, you owe me money.


I will try to not be obnoxious all week. But I will note that in exactly one week, our flight leaves for London!


KT takes exclamation marks VERY SERIOUSLY!


Coop: "If we go into a pub, and someone offers me a drink, I'm going to say no thanks. I mean, I'm 9 years old."


Rest in peace, David Broder.


If you tell me you've broken a rule because "everyone else does it," be prepared for a loooooong lecture.


Thinking of Steve & my all-time favorite Lent status update: "Steve is giving up cancer and kidney stones for Lent."


I realize I'm slow to the party, but I sure am liking the Avett Brothers.


A challenge of parenting a grieving child, requiring constant discernment: How much behavior is explained by grief vs. typical development?


Fun first morning of spring break: Listening to Coop sing with the Beatles and TMBG.


Frisco friends: Come by Kroger at Lebanon and Legacy until 11 am today to buy cookies from KT and fellow Daisy Scouts.


Me: "You are a good role model and teacher to your sister." Coop: "Well, not ALL the time."


KT: "Mommy, can I call you 'Mum'?"


KT, regarding the recorded voice on the London buses: "That lady has a really good English accent."


We lit candles for Steve today at St. Paul's and Westminster Abbey.


Today I took Coop & KT to some of Steve's favorite Paris sites. And we lit candles for him at Notre Dame. (& I drank fizzy water for him.)


KT, after a week of travel: "I think the cleanest restrooms are house restrooms."


Coop: "Most people, when they think of the Middle Ages, think of princes and princesses. I think of wall structures and siege equipment."


KT: "If God weren't alive, we wouldn't be alive. That's one reason to be thankful for God."


Two lessons for myself this week (when will I learn?): Take things one little step at a time & cut down on needless worries.


Papa is reading my column to Katie. She is not happy. "Why did you write about me in the newspaper?! Why?!"


Love being virtual friends with Steve's old Michigan buddies -- especially the day after a Duke loss.


I spy a child wearing a Briefing newspaper hat. Can't do that with a computer screen. =)


Patient big brother Coop is listening to KT gush over every detail in a doll catalog.


Grief is sneaky. Pulling bathmats out of the dryer makes me think of Steve, who loved a warm bathmat. Makes me smile & cry at the same time.


KT: "I believe that angels play golden trumpets and wear white all the time. And Daddy is the most GORGEOUS angel."


Rest in peace, Geraldine Ferraro. (I couldn't vote when she was on the ticket, but she spurred my interest in politics.)


Loving all the reports from today's Rock n Roll Half!


It's a great treat to listen to Coop's piano lesson while trying to catch up on emails.


KT: "Cooper got a 100 on that math homework? Oh, I am just so proud of him."


Me: "Were there any disagreements today?" KT: "(Name redacted) said 99 is the same as 100. That's not true! It was a short disagreement."


KT: "I am thankful for rocks! Because they are the earth where we live!" (She is very exclamation pointy today.)


How long can Cooper sleep while his alarm clock beeps next to his head? So far 26 minutes. I hate to wake him if he's that tired.


KT: "Oh, I'm an expert at stickers."


So, I showed Coop & KT the talking twin toddler video. Now they're re-enacting it. Not as cute on 9- and 5-year-olds. And it's louder.


My crazy two-day to-do list is almost complete. Except all the house stuff. As usual.

No comments: