Monday, January 31, 2011

January, according to Twitter


Coop is making Steve proud: He's talking back to the commentators on the Michigan game.

Tonight, as I brushed KT"s hair, she said, "I miss Daddy so much." (pause) "And he loves us so much." I'm happy she still feels his love.

Me to the kids when I dropped them off this morning: "I'll miss you!" KT: "I'll miss you, too, but just a little. I've seen you a lot."

Coop is home sick today and logging into Webkinz. "I need to take care of my babies. I'm going to be a good dad when I grow up."

dental office about a billing problem. Receptionist already knew me, though we haven't met, b/c Steve had been on her prayer list.


Coop, KT & I are remembering our summer weekend stay at Lost Pines in 2008. Thankful for sweet memories of adventures with Stevie D.

For the 1st time since Steve died, music's playing in the kitchen. (Grief baby steps?) Coop walked in & said, "Now, this feels like family."

Cheerful way to start the day: Watching your child skip into school.

KT: "I've never made a resolution in my whole life until now. I'm going to help more often without being asked." (Our school is awesome.)

Thinking of all affected by Arizona shooting. As mom to a 9-year-old, I'm especially somber thinking of the 9-year-old victim.

People of Frisco are scared of possible snow. Kroger is a messy mess and out of lots of food.

Two cubic feet of firewood is very heavy.

Love how snow brings neighbors out to play.

Finished reading HP & Sorcerer's Stone to KT. Love Rowling's words: "to have been loved so deeply ... will give us some protection forever."

Coop on the way to school: "Elementary school has prepared me for a lifetime of backpacking."

KT: "The sun might explode a long, long time from now. I'm just letting you know."

Three mornings of commuting from Frisco to downtown Dallas in rush-hour traffic renews my appreciation for working from home.

Helping Coop pack for a Scout camping trip makes me especially angry at inoperable brain tumors. I'm not a good Steve substitute.

While Coop is camping this weekend, KT & I will dine at American Girl for the first time. (Perhaps you heard her squeal upon learning?)

Riddles I don't understand, by KT: What do you call a tiger that doesn't eat meat? A lonely fossil.

I am certain that Coop is just fine, if not a little cold, on his camping trip. That doesn't stop me from worrying about him.

KT: "Did you know my favorite word is love?"

KT: "Everyone who knew Daddy really misses him."

KT has big ideas. When she works diligently to execute them and they don't work, she is devastated. Hoping for fewer tears this afternoon.

This afternoon our family is being interviewed & filmed for a fundraiser for hospice and grief therapy services. (I'm a tad nervous.)

Coop is home from camp, tired, happy & a little smelly. (And wearing the same socks as when he left Saturday.)

Coop reports with bewilderment that some fellow 4th-grade Scouts talked about girls and how "hot they are."

Super proud of Cooper & Katie, who spoke openly and easily about their Daddy and bereavement therapy in front of strangers and a camera.

I am editing via new software and workflow today, which means I'm talking aloud to myself frequently.

Last night KT confided that she thinks Margie (our dog) doesn't love her as much as me & Coop. Tonight, Margie is draped across KT's bed.

I have two goals in May's sprint triathlon. (1) To finish. (2) To swim faster than my brother-in-law Greg.

I can send e-mails, plan parties, chaperone field trips. The REAL test of my room mom skills will be my ability to create a bulletin board.

Katie is addressing Valentine cards, taking special care to choose a unique color for each name and to add personalized embellishments.

Fun treat from my friend Mary today: a box of Hot Tamales, one of Steve's favorite candies.

Big night for KT. She's finally tall enough for the big blue slide at the athletic center.

Coop: "One thing I really miss about Daddy is his hugs. I mean, Mommy, you give good hugs, but Daddy gave REALLY good hugs."

Cooking some veggie chili for the church cook-off. I expect tough competition in this category, considering our vegan pastor.

Breaking news: Wolf was found not guilty in "The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs" at the DCT.

Small victory: When Coop & KT choose the same day to buy lunch (they buy just once/week), giving me a full morning off from packing lunches.

When Steve kept Coop up late with Harry Potter, I'd remind him that our son needs sleep. Now I'm reading to KT. Someone needs to remind me.

Cirque du Soleil OVO opens this week in Frisco. Am I the only one who finds the whole Cirque thing creepy?

Katie would like everyone to know that we go to London in 48 days. I would like everyone to know that there's a lot of squealing here.

Coop: "If you ask me, we live in a concrete jungle. I prefer more natural stuff."

KT: "If things in space could marry, the sun should marry the moon so the sun could be cold and the moon could be hot."

Have finished a column about Cooper, which he granted permission for me to write. (I normally don't ask, but it seemed important this time.)

When I asked if it would be OK, he said, "It's like I'm your boss!" He didn't bother to hide his enthusiasm.

Never underestimate the power of a kind word. An out-of-the blue note just made my whole day.

Poor Katie's hands are chapped and bleeding. "It feels like my hands ate really hot salsa," she said through tears.

Thankful that Cooper wants to watch the State of the Union with me and that we can talk about policy and public service.

Getting prescriptions for next week's trip to Belize and desperately hoping to avoid the flu germs in this doctor's office.

Making a Steve favorite for dinner: Corn pancakes topped with black beans.

It's incredibly comforting to have the opportunity to turn long, long ago struggles into hope for others.

Difference between my children: KT can hardly wait to create a Valentine box. Coop wants to reuse last year's "because it's in good shape."

I was just out of American Experience at Newman Smith HS when Amanda told me about the Challenger. Can't believe it's been 25 years.

Of the many challenges of single parenthood, one toward the top of the list is Friday exhaustion. It's when I always give in to a movie.

Coop and Katie are dancing. They have serious moves. They did not get them from me.

Hippie chick KT: "My next birthday will be a love and peace party."

KT: "You shouldn't go around trying to be like everyone else, because then we'd all be the same. And God made us to be just ourselves."

To get ready for London, we're sampling goodies from the British section at Kroger. Today: Aero chocolate. K and C like. Me, not so much.

Proud of my sweet children.

KT: "It's hard to eat food when I have lipgloss on."

No comments: