Thursday, September 18, 2008

'Call and duty'

Katie's preschool teacher keeps a treasure box to reward extra special behavior. Katie is not pleased when she is denied access to the treasure box. (Betty has been picking up Katie for me in the afternoons, so I just hear about the meltdowns -- I haven't witnessed one yet.)

I picked up K today, and she was eager to show me the treasure she selected -- a plastic flip flop keychain wrapped in a velvety bag decorated with skulls and crossbones. (I know, it's a strange combination and maybe a bit too creepy for 3-year-olds.)

Mrs. Lilly explained that Katie was extra helpful today. A friend spilled water during lunch. During the commotion, Katie fetched paper towels and started cleaning the mess -- without being prompted. Mrs. Lilly said, she "went above and beyond the call of duty."

When Katie retells the story, she says: "I got to go to the treasure box. I got a shoe in a pirate bag. I went to call and duty. Someone spilled water and I cleaned it up."

No comments: