Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Bribery or incentive?

A student in Katie's preschool class has a peanut allergy, so no one can bring nut products for lunch. Katie loves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches more than any other. She tolerates deli meat and cheese sandwiches. So I've been working on other options.

Today I made some tuna salad for her to try. She wrinkled her nose at the offering and refused to eat it.

My next move: Try Cooper. Cooper eats very healthily but has a limited palate. I knew if Katie saw Cooper try it, she would to.

I asked. He said no. Without hesitation, I said, "I'll give you a dollar if you try it!"

"Really?!"

"Yes."

(Steve sat in silence, either amused or confused by my sudden new moves.)

"Really?!"

"Yes. I promise."

Cooper loves money. He saves it in multiple banks and drawers in his room. He rarely spends it. He often gives it away.

So he ate a big bite and said he liked it. Steve pulled a dollar out of his pocket and handed it over.

Katie seized the opportunity. "Can I have a dollar if I try it?"

"Yes!"

She ate a forkful and liked it. She accepted a bill from Daddy. She asked for more tuna salad and didn't even ask for more money.

Tomorrow, I'll pack her a tuna salad sandwich. For Cooper? Not a chance. He said he won't eat it again unless we pay him.

******

In case you haven't noticed, I've been posting links to Briefing columns on the left. You can read about why I love soccer moms; how sad we've been since Cooper lost B; and how it's difficult to know which activities are best for kids.

No comments: