Thursday, May 31, 2007

First week of summer

Since school has been out we've:
  • Celebrated Carys' 3rd birthday (photos here)
  • Been swimming at the neighborhood pool
  • Read books at the library
  • Read lots of books at home
  • Walked around the neighborhood a lot
  • Visited the Dallas World Aquarium
It's a challenge to keep everyone engaged and stimulated and retain a sense of a carefree summer. I'm trying to balance planned excursions (which I prefer) with lazier days so that I don't impose too much of my will on Katie & Cooper!

We're trying something different this summer. Cooper & I chose 12 themes for summer (recorded here), and we're using the theme to add a bit of structure to the weeks. This is Antarctica week, so we've been reading about penguins, visited penguins, eaten ice cream, studied Cooper's Smart Globe. Katie loves penguins and calls them "Happy Feet" because of the movie. And then she usually breaks out in a happy dance.

No comments: