Friday, January 06, 2012

Cooper: Diversity Means

Cooper wrote a poem for this year's PTA Reflections contest. Today we learned that his entry won an Award of Excellence at school and has advanced to the district level -- the same as last year's poem. Go, Coop!


The World’s Differences
Cooper Damm

Diversity makes this world richer.

Because of diversity in people,
I can be friends with a British boy and an Asian girl.

Because of diversity in food,
I can have crunchy cheese toast for breakfast, chicken dumplings for lunch and pizza for dinner.

Because of diversity in literature,
I can read the mysterious Secret series and books about mythical gods.

Because of diversity in skills,
People can do amazing things in the fields of science and art
And excel in
Chess, writing, reading, cooking, math and social studies.

Because of diversity in music,
I can listen to the blues, country and rock music.

Because of diversity in animals,
A turtle is slow and has a shell for protection,
A chameleon is quick and can change color for camouflage,
A lion is fast and has sharp teeth to tear through flesh.

Because of diversity in landforms,
Texas has big skies that no mountain can touch
And Colorado has peaceful valleys and mountains that can touch the sky.

Because of diversity you can have a peaceful relationship
With a Christian, a Muslim and a Buddhist
All in the same community.

The world is diverse,
And it enriches my life with countless things.

2 comments:

Laura and Brian said...

I LOVE this! It paints the most vivid, beautiful picture of what is right with this world and why its so interesting. With Cooper's permission, I would love to re-post this on our PTO's website. I'm the president this year. Let me know and if not, that's fine too. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

I *love* it! Especially "Texas has big skies that no mountain can touch
And Colorado has peaceful valleys and mountains that can touch the sky." Beautiful!