Friday, January 02, 2009

Resolved

I have two measurable resolutions for 2009. Both are designed to reduce calories and reduce spending.

No matter how much I run and walk, I can't seem to lose weight that I put on last year.

Plus, Steve and I deliberated for a while about our church pledge for the new year and decided to increase our annual giving by almost 15 percent. That money isn't going to just fall out of the sky!

1. Buy a drink from Starbucks only twice a month.
For about a month this summer, I boycotted Starbucks altogether, in recognition of Uncle Greg's job loss. (He was laid off as part of a national cost-cutting measure in August.) In the fall, I had started drinking lattes again, about one drink a week. And then they introduced the holiday flavors, and I fell under the spell of the Peppermint Mocha Twist. I couldn't resist its call. I was buying a drink three or four times a week.

The trick will be to not use up my two drinks too early in the month. Tomorrow, for instance, a group of us are running to Starbucks. We'll stop for a drink. I will ask for ice water. I do not want to use one of my two chances on the third day of the month!

2. Buy a restaurant meal only once a month.
We eat out as a family once a week usually. I eat out with friends for lunch once or twice a week. I don't expect we as a family will have too much trouble following this resolution. I will have to change my social habits. Liz and I were talking about social meals today -- maybe we could just meet at someone's house for sandwiches?

The one contingency on both of these resolutions is a hospital visit. If Steve has to be admitted to the hospital in 2009 (and we're all praying that he won't!), then I give myself permission to temporarily break these resolutions.

Good luck to you and your resolutions for 2009!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Just think how much money and calories you'll save from the Starbucks cutback! I always struggle with the social aspect of meeting with friends for lunch, but the financial and caloric side of it, too. I'm much prefer my sandwich at home! So I rotate with my friends: out once a week, then at home the next. It works well. Good luck to you!!!!

Sweetest Whimsy said...

I stopped buying Starbucks when the whole issue of coffee bean farmers not getting their fair share came to light the other year. It made me feel really bad about buying a cup of Starbucks; I would picture the poor guy in Africa/South America who I had read about. I don't know if they (Starbucks) have resolved this issue to the satisfaction of all the 'little people' trying to eke a living yet, but maybe it will give you another reason to not go to Starbucks as often! On a side note, this did not stop my husband from going to Starbucks nearly every day until we went on our recent recession 'money diet.'!