Wednesday, July 23, 2008

21st-century child

Our friends Andy and Julie have two cars -- a plush, well appointed SUV with automatic everything, satellite radio and heated seats and a basic four-door economy car. Julie likes to call the small car a clown car. When Andy bought it, he was focused on safety, fuel efficiency and value -- not frills. So much so that even the locks and windows are manual (but the car payment is super low!).

Last night, Julie drove me, Cooper and Katie home in the clown car from another friend's house after some Slip 'n' Slide fun. Cooper was in the back seat and kept asking, "Julie, what's this?" I finally turned around to see what puzzled him -- the handle to roll down the car window. He had never seen one before and was delighted to discover that he could make the window roll up and down with his own power!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

THAT is hilarious! I had a similar eye-opening experience when the 4th-grader I mentor in a local reading program took my Blackberry from me and had figured out how everything on it worked in about 10 seconds flat. We can't even get the grown adults at the office to figure that stuff out over several months!