Wednesday, October 10, 2007

An A-J reunion of sorts

I worked at the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal for three and a half years. About two weeks before I left, Stacey began in the sports department. I vaguely recall her being there -- mostly because of her curly hair and the relative novelty of a woman in the A-J sports department.

A few years later, after I had been at the Morning News for a while, Stacey and I started working together on the CCI pagination project. We learned we shared a number of friends and loved discussing the legends of the A-J (some of whom are still there, Stacey reports).

Then, she moved on to the Washington Post, where she works with the two Michaels (Taylor and Ramey), also from our CCI project. I last saw her two years ago -- until this weekend. A group of us met for dinner -- all of us Lubbock exes except her friend from junior high. Three of us are NT Daily alums, too. It was great to catch up with everyone. Beth is now a Morning News reporter. John, who I worked with on the Regional desk, has a fancy job with NEC. And John's wife Caren, who I didn't meet until Dallas, is with JCPenney. (Caren is tall and apparently handy to have around, especially during confrontations!)

Stacey, Caren, me, Beth and Matt (John left early for a camping trip)

3 comments:

Stacey said...

And don't forget David J who was there earlier having drinks with us. He, too, worked in the Sports dept. at the A-J with me and now works at JC Penney with Caren.

I'm so glad I got to see everybody and that we all still keep in touch in our weird little incestuous circle.

Tyra said...

Shoot -- I was too late to see David J.

Matt, by the way, was very patient with all of our newsroom talk!

Stacey said...

He's used to it by now. But he's a patient guy, period. Lord knows he's had to be to put up my crap and be my friend all these years!