Saturday, October 05, 2013

Salads

When I worked at Prestonwood, I would often pack lunch. But if I didn't have time/make time, I didn't worry. The campus includes Main Street, a cafe with plenty of inexpensive options. For a real treat, I might escape to one of the nearby restaurants.

My goal at Bledsoe is to not buy cafeteria food. It's inexpensive, yes, but it's not my favorite kind of food. Plus, my 30-minute lunch break is really about 22 minutes, when you include time walking students to the cafeteria, stopping by the office to check my mailbox and any other quick trips that I can squeeze in. So, I need something healthy and ready to go -- no standing in line, no heating required.

My strategy so far: Make a giant salad on Sunday nights that will last through Friday. So far it's worked. And I've made a different salad each week, which means now my goal is to make a different salad each week for 36 total school weeks.

Recipes so far:

Cuscan-Style Couscous Salad (from Jeanne Lemlin's Vegetarian Classics)

Penne with Greek-Style Vegetable Marinade (from Jeanne Lemlin's Main Course Vegetarian Pleasures)

Colorful Orzo Salad with Shiitake Mushrooms (from Jeanne Lemlin's Vegetarian Classics)

Farfalle e Fagiolo Salad (from Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special)


Mediterranean Rice Salad (I added tuna. I need to sneak more protein into my daily diet.)

(Professional photo of rice salad by Dan Goldberg)
Can I keep this up until early June? I'll keep you posted.

(And if you have a favorite salad recipe, please share!)

No comments: