Monday, February 28, 2011

February, according to Twitter

Winter storm's timing disappoints me for a very selfish reason: I have an overdue hair appointment in the morning. I have crazy hair.

Thankful that Aunt Ami made it safely from Austin last night before the storm hit.

Katie learned the story of "Wicked" before "The Wizard of Oz." She is therefore suspect of Baum's version of the Wicked Witch.

Power out.

Power back!

We're back from a quick walk. Wind chill is 1 degree. KT: "I really want to go to Fiji."

Skyped for the first time ever -- with cousin Tara, who is working hard on school projects in humid Savannah. We showed her some Frisco ice.

Part of tomorrow's plan: Read the last 3 chapters of HP & the Chamber of Secrets & watch the movie. (Not sure I can handle the spiders.)

I have been patient with this weather and its delays. My patience will run out if tomorrow I'm unable to fly to Belize as planned.

KT: "If Daddy were still in the hospital, I would visit him all the time."
I can only imagine what Monday is going to be like. So many moms needing to run errands, meet for coffee, just get out of the house.

KT: "What if the whole world were under a snow globe?"

Our brave traveling trio (me, Julie and Allie) is on the road, slogging through snow to get to the airport.

We made it without incident to the airport!

We have landed at DFW, with tales of canoeing, caving, zip-lining and more. But first I want to see my already-asleep Coop and KT.

Not only does Aunt Ami take care of my children so I can escape for a few days -- she also prepares dinner before she leaves. 

I'm certain that I looked like a cartoon character just now when I fell on the ice and my glasses flew off my face.

KT: "I really want to meet the person who wrote Harry Potter books and say, 'Your books are AMAZING.' "

A kind note from Cooper's teacher is yet another reminder that we are surrounded by the best people on our grief journey.

KT: "I'm reading the Bible. Well, it's a children's Bible with pictures, but it's still a Bible. You know, it's a really good book."

KT: "Why do they call it a daddy-daughter dance when there are some people going who can't go with their dad because he died?"

Cooper insists that most of his classmates have an iPad at home. When pressed, he lowered the estimate to maybe half.

I am tired and wish Steve could take the kids to tonight's function. Then again, it's a grief event, so my wish is completely irrational.

KT: "A little gift from someone could actually be a hunormous gift to someone else."

The good: Last night I made chicken & dumplings. Delicious. The bad: I failed to put the cooled leftovers in the fridge.

A canceled appointment for this afternoon is just what I needed to feel a little less stressed and rushed.

I am learning that living through grief is a balancing act between enjoying memories & not living completely in them. (Oh, I miss Steve.)

"Eleanor Rigby" comes on. After the first few notes, Coop asks, "Is that Beethoven?"

No lack of self-confidence around here. KT, singing a made-up song: "I'm a good singer, how about you? I'm the best singer, yes it's true!"

OH at Target: "Oooo. My mom used to have bowls just like these and my dad threw them at her and broke them."

I'm giving in. Today I start planning summer camps and activities.

An excellent byproduct of Cooper's dyslexia homework: He has to read aloud for 20 minutes. I have him read to Katie while I'm working.

It makes me sad when my otherwise sweet children don't follow the rules & there have to be consequences. Like tonight: No Harry Potter.

More to love about Frisco: Traffic-free bike ride on Beaver Bend Trail, on which I discovered beautiful birds and ran into a friend.

KT: " I can't wait until I'm in heaven with Daddy. I like being with him. I miss him." Oh, my heart.

With children in school, you never stop learning. This week, Coop can't stop talking about Fibonacci. KT is all about the Redcoats.

Coop: "I just love our happy, little home. It's not grand like some others, but it's happy."

Frisco friends: Cub Scouts are collecting pantry items for the annual Scouting for Food drive this morning. Please give if you can!

Beautiful day for the first soccer game of the season! Cooper and his fellow Dolphins are starting their 11 season together.

KT: "Cooper, please don't mess with my booster seat. I might use it with my kids, if I have any."

Big day for Coop: Food drive collection, soccer win and Webelo badge at Blue & Gold banquet.

Found lost photos from July 09, when Steve had started hospice. Struck by (1) that I managed to braid KT's hair & (2) my look of exhaustion.

KT: "I think Daddy right now is praying with God, thanking Him for his perfect family."

Love having one of my oldest & dearest friends in town for a good visit. Cooper & Katie love Jayshree, too.

KT: "Mommy, I hope you're still alive when my kids are adults. That would be amazing."

KT: "It's amazing how God tells us stuff without even talking. He tells us a storm is coming by making gray clouds bunch up."

Happy to see tulip sprouts (planted on Steve's birthday) pushing through soil today.

We need new phones at the house. I don't want to buy them because I'll be replacing the ones Steve used. Irrational, I know.

"Gnomeo and Juliet" was just OK -- but it does make me want to read Shakespeare again. And maybe watch "West Side Story."

KT: "Mommy, one of the reasons I love you is that you give us what we need. And lots of stuff we want. But that's not the only reason."

Fun discovery in forgotten pocket of my raincoat: Ticket stub from Dixie Chicks at the Cotton Bowl, October 2002, with Steve, Will & Holly.

Thankful for help on a day when being an only parent is extra challenging: Daisy meeting & emergency orthodontist appt at the same time.

Walking home, we saw a group of kids playing and arguing. Coop wants to turn back and be "a peacemaker and protector."

Coop is preparing for the youth talent show tomorrow night. Two songs on the piano & stilt-walking while telling jokes.

Cooper is on his way to his first monster truck show. I'm thankful for friends who think of these "guy things" and take care of Coop.

KT: "You know what life is? It's a lot of sitting, walking, watching, playing, standing and having fun. And eating and drinking."

Stuff I can't do includes stilt-walking, telling jokes well, playing piano & performing for a crowd. Coop did all those things well tonight.

On the day before the writing TAKS, Cooper & fellow suburban 4th-graders rapped "Write Write Baby" a la Vanilla Ice.


A dear friend told me today that I did absolutely everything possible to take care of Steve. Those are words I'll store in my heart forever.

No comments: