Thursday, June 19, 2008

Q&A with Beverly Cleary

One of my favorite children's authors recently spoke with Highlights magazine (click here to read). I love her advice about reading out loud to children. Steve and I both love reading chapter books to Cooper. Steve is in the middle of the fifth Harry Potter book -- they started the first before Cooper turned 4. I've just started one of my all-time favorites, A Wrinkle in Time, with Coop. Other top picks include Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Bridge to Terabithia and Charlotte's Web.

Katie (who will be 3 tomorrow!) is just about ready to sit long enough for a chapter at a time and follow the plot from day to day. I think we'll try Mr. Popper's Penguins.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Awesome! Thanks for posting this. She is by far my favorite author, too. I started reading the Ramona Quimby books first but I think the deal was sealed for her to be my favorite author when I discovered Henry Huggins (no explanation needed).

I've been trying to get the student I read to in the mentoring program I'm involved in through the Post to read Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume books but she has no interest whatsoever, much to my dismay.