Friday, February 01, 2008

New hair

Steve, Cooper & Katie this Sunday before church

Until this week, Cooper has had the same hairstyle pretty much since he had enough hair to shape and style. Sometimes it looked like a bowl cut, others like a mushroom. I loved it -- one length, thick, smooth, shiny. He definitely didn't look like most other little boys. (And it was very similar to my hair from when I was 5, which I realize may seem strange and is not what all boys aspire to. But he loved it, too.)

For about three years, we had the best hairdresser -- Sylvia, at a local kids-only shop. She knew how to work around his occasional curls and always finished with a straight, even cut. But she left the state a few months ago, and we've been roaming from one place to the next, in search of a Sylvia substitute.

I took him to a nearby guys kind of place this week, and the woman helping us insisted that he needed something more masculine, something to get rid of the flippiness on the ends.

Me: Well, I don't know. What would you do exactly?
Pushy lady: Oh, just layer it in the back.
Me: Would it look the same in the front?
Pushy lady: Yes, oh yes. I like the length in front. He just needs to look more like a boy.
Me: Oh, I'm not sure about this.
Pushy lady: Really, it will be fine.

The whole time I was thinking in my head, "I'm not ready for any additional drastic changes! It's just hair, and I know it will grow, but can't we just keep this the same?!" But I didn't want to spill out all that turmoil on the lady with the scissors in her hand. And Cooper said he was willing to try something different.

Well, he looks like a completely different person. Handsome and beautiful, of course, but different. Julie noted that you notice his eyes even more. I think it makes him look older, too.

And he loves it, which I know is most important.

Cooper the day after his haircut (dressed as a meteorologist for career day)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I LOVE the new hair. He looks even more handsome than before, if that's possible. Even more handsome than Tony Romo! I'm glad he's happy with it. What a cutie!

--Holly

Anonymous said...

Trust me, I know good-lookin' kids. That one you got there is easily in the top four!

-Layne

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Cooper "D" has grown into Cooper! He does look older and ready to help Daddy battle Spot. My daughter Bailey (12yrs old - and if you can get a picture of her in your mind - hair below her waist) recently took off 24 inches of hair. It made her look older, a change I wasn't ready for, and gave her so much more confidence.
God bless all of you and the changing times in your life!
Donna Roberts

Laura said...

Wow! Cooper looks so handsome and grown-up. (The suit may add a little!) I say thumbs-up on the new 'do. He'll be hard-pressed to keep those older elementary girls away on the playground!

Anonymous said...

I love the new haircut. I also think that it makes him look even more handsome.

Love, Jackie Nguyen

Unknown said...

What a handsome young gentleman! I too was trepedious while reading your account, but dang it, that Pushy Lady done good.

Shannon said...

He is too cute!!!!! I LOVE the haircut. You are right...he does look older. But, oh so handsome!!!!

Shannon said...

Tyra,
He is too cute!!!!! I LOVE the new haircut.

Shannon

Shannon said...

I LOVE the new haircut. He is too cute!!!!!!

Shannon

Elsa Espinoza said...

Love the haircut! I didn't even recognize Cooper until I heard him speaking to someone. I was shocked! He looks so handsome and grown up. There's a sense of confidence when he speaks now. I think he's very happy and proud of this new style. I miss my "Katy" in the nursery but she seems very happy in the Toddler Rm. Steve and your entire family are in my daily thoughts and prayers. Keep the faith! You do know you "all" have many people praying for the Damms. Love: Elsa