Thursday, October 19, 2006

Momfidence

A few weeks ago, I interviewed Paula Spencer, a family writer and author of "Momfidence! An Oreo Never Killed Anybody and Other Secrets of Happier Parenting." The Q&A is in today's Morning News.

The book is a deceptively easy, fun read; it covers some important issues in parenting and society. Her premise is that parents, specifically moms, should trust their instincts more and rely less on experts. She thinks we've become too protective of our children, and it's going to be a problem later. This fits with anecdotes I've read about oversheltered Gen Y kids, who have worked in groups all their lives and now have trouble being leaders.

Some of her advice challenges my own parenting style -- I do buy only organic milk, shun fast food altogether, advocate organized sports for little folks. But this is what works for our family right now. Our style, cobbled together from all sorts of sources (as I wrote about this time last year), is constantly evolving and probably riddled with "mistakes" according to others. But ultimately, I think that's what "Momfidence" is about -- being confident and comfortable with your choices and being able to sometimes tune out the constantly running monologue of guilt and questions. The job of a mom (and a dad) is much too important to be guilt-free, but it shouldn't overwhelm or paralyze you or your children.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Yeh, I'm glad to see updates...living close enough to hear your husband bring the garbage can from the alley just doesn't give me enough chances to catch up!

Love the Round up photos...can't wait to borrow Momfidence.

Laura said...

This book sounds like a perfect gift for any Mom this Christmas. I always tell my friends that you have to go with what you think is best. Sometimes the "expert" methods feel wrong from the minute you try it. Thanks for sharing, Tyra!